Week Notes №3 ending 14 Jun 2019
Monday June 10
core-jsdecided to console log a message on postinstall to ask for project donations and spurred a big discussion on best practices for open source sustainability. I empathize with what they’re trying to do but I think the execution was a bit off—I’ve seen this message in my console so many times that it’s feeling a bit like spam.
- Ryan Frazier is using Eleventy to render sheet music! WHAT.
- The JS Party episode that I was on was published.
- I wrote a post about Facepile image performance and lazy loading webmention avatar images.
Tuesday June 11
- I switched my site to use
zopflicompression. I’d take a wild guess that it’s about 10% better? Here’s how I did it.
- Update: Remy Sharp removed Disqus from his site and blogged about it in Ejecting Disqus. He replaced it with Commento.
Wednesday June 12
- I found an XSS problem in my webmentions. I needed to adjust my use of sanitize-html in my build to make sure that it was escaping all of the webmention output. Max Boeck updated his
eleventy-webmentionsproject with this fix as well. (via Twitter)
Thursday June 13
- I did a Smashing TV Webinar. It was an updated version (a minor release) of a talk that I gave at Performance.now() last year. I published the new, updated slides. The video is free to Smashing members!
- We (Filament Group) launched a redesign of our web site! Scott Jehl has more about it on Twitter. (Still using Eleventy 😎)
- Phil Hawksworth did a big update to his very popular Eleventy starter project, EleventyOne. It’s great! (via Twitter)
Friday June 14
- I noticed that the much renowned photographer Norman Posselt published an Instagram sneak preview of the portrait he took of me directly after my talk at Beyond Tellerrand!
- New awesome Eleventy site: Every Layout: Relearn CSS Layout from Heydon Pickering and Andy Bell.
- Another new awesome Eleventy site: ffconf.org, a very popular long-running conference series organized by Left Logic. Thanks Remy Sharp!