Better @font-face with Font Load Events—SmashingConf Whistler
Of all the talks I’ve given thus far in my career, I think this one is the one I’m most proud of. The conference was fun: the attendees were lively and attentive, the location was beautiful (after it quit raining), and Vitaly sprinkled a bunch of easter eggs into the conference which always adds a little something extra. A huge thank you to Tim Kadlec for inviting me to speak.
Skip to 3:43 to see me attempt to trick a crowd of 300 people into doing the flashback arm waving sequence from Wayne’s World, something I decided would be okay to try after seeing the responses to this tweet.
Slides on Speaker Deck (203 slides)
Links (in order of slide appearance)
- OpenType Format advanced typographic features:
- State of Web Type, compatibility tables for web typography.
- WOFF2 Google Fonts Size Comparison
- Use FontSquirrel WebFont Generator for Custom Subsetting
- CSS Font Loading API
- FontFaceOnload, a polyfill for font load events.
- Font Family Reunion, compatibility tables for default installed fonts.
- Unify, compatibility tables for Unicode characters
- A Font Garde, how to do Icon Fonts correctly.