A Brief History of that Time You Used Web Fonts—SmashingConf Barcelona
The title of the talk was a reference to a hugely popular book written by Stephen Hawking titled A Brief History of Time. I’m not sure this was clear enough, since I put a computer generated voice as an antagonist in a few of the slides and the reference fell pretty flat. Better luck next time I guess!
Slides on Speaker Deck (144 slides)
Paired nicely with the other amazing talks at SmashingConf, the event was held at Palau de la Musica Orfeo Catalana, rated as the #3 thing to see in all of Barcelona by TripAdvisor. It was beautiful.
Links (in order of slide appearance)
- Across all Google Web Fonts, WOFF2 is ~30% smaller than WOFF.
font-synthesisCSS property on MDN
font-synthesison State of Web Type
- State of Web Type
- “People will visit a Web site less often if it is slower than a close competitor by more than 250 milliseconds.”
- “If a page hasn’t loaded in 3 seconds, up to 40% of the users will abandon the site…”
- Load CSS Asynchronously using filamentgroup/loadCSS
- The Mitt Romney Web Font Problem
- CSS Font Loading API
- Font Loading Polyfills: FontFaceOnload and FontFaceObserver
- fontfamily.io, Compatibility Tables for Default Installed Fonts