Making a PWA out of the 1996 Space Jam Web Site
Originally presented at Barcamp Omaha 2018 in Omaha, NE USA 🇺🇸 on August 4, 2018
As part of a Barcamp talk, I made some improvements to the original 1996 Space Jam web site (Space JAMstack, anyone??? Oh, just me—okay):
- Responsive! Change that viewport size y’all
- Manifest and Service Worker for PWA and offline goodness!
- Removed tracking and advertisements
- Proper character encoding
- Standards and not quirks rendering mode
- Meta viewport for zooooooom
- Improved semantic markup (some, not all)
- Accessibility improvements
- Use some CSS instead of old-school HTML presentation attributes
- Show an example of pulling the Planet B-Ball text out of the navigation image and into the HTML content.
- Use SVG where we can (for crisp scaling)
preloadfor a few assets to help maintain original page speed
- Lighthouse results:
There is video of this but just a fair warning—this may be one of the worst talks I’ve ever given. It took me over a year of it sitting around before I was sufficiently over it to post it up here. In retrospect, I bit off way too much live coding for 30 minutes. I also had a few tech-failures, most notably with the new Touchbar and Voiceover 😱 (I usually use an external keyboard and my muscle memory was off).