The Performance and Usability of Font Loading—Velocity Santa Clara
My beautiful daughter was born exactly 26 days before the Velocity Conference. The other parents in my life warned me what having a new child would be like—you live your life in one hour increments between feedings, twenty four hours a day. I did not heed their warnings and used many of those sleep-deprived increments to make a brand new presentation on Web Fonts for Velocity.
Topics and Related Links
- Weight versus Perceived Performance of different asset types
- Font Formats (WOFF2, WOFF, OTF/TTF,
- Triggering a
@font-faceDownload (Attached Elements,
font-style(Faux Bold and Italic)
- Behavior while Downloading (FOIT, FOUT)
- The Mitt Romney Web Font Problem
- FOUT versus Progressive JPEG
- Font Loading Anti-Patterns
- Cross-browser solutions for FOUT and FOIT, Flash of Faux Text
- Minimizing FOUT to Web Font Reflow
A huge thanks to Steve Souders for goading me into submitting a proposal to the conference—I had a great time. It was amazing to finally meet Steve in person as well as Katie Kovalcin and Bruce Lawson, people I had only known previously through the magic of the Internet.